In the early 1900’s, three Baptist churches existed in our area, “Old First,” in McLewis, “Evergreen Baptist” in Duncan Woods, and “Burton Baptist” in Winfree Community, but none in the Orange oil field to serve the spiritual needs of the people here—the farmers, oil field workers and their families. On August 3, 1922, at a prayer meeting and singing in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cay McGill, our church was organized as a mission of the Burton Baptist Church of Winfree.
At a Sunday meeting, Brother W.R. Brown, pastor of First Baptist Church of Orange, preached the first sermon and helped organize the church with election of officers and petitioning the Southeast Texas Baptist Association for membership. Brother J. L. Sargent was called as pastor.
Worship has been held in three different locations, the little frame building across from the present Orangefield Post Office, the old Harmon home off Highway 408 and out current location on Highway 105.
First Baptist Church of Orangefield has ministered in this and surrounding communities for nearly 100 years. Our hearts desire is to continue this mission that has been build on the foundation of Christ. We are convinced that God’s love and faithfulness will continue to shine as we Know Christ & Love Christ & Abide in Christ.